Sunday, December 21, 2014

Going plastic free

For a long time, after watching Beth Terry and being educated about 'plastic pollution' due to internet media and newspapers... I decided to cut back on my plastic pollution. But I still did not really think about it and thought that all that plastic could be recycled. However, as I was taking my English College class for my Fall 2014 semester... I realized that it wasn't completely true. See, my topic was about plastic pollution because I knew that it was a very toxic substance because it isn't natural and made from oil that belongs in the ground. My basic knowledge was that plastic took 20+ years to biodegrade and that it should be recycled. Unfortunately, this was just a back up marketing tool for them to make us use more plastic and 'recycle' it. As I started to research my topic for my essay on what should be done on plastic pollution... I found out that plastic actually lasts forever and doesn't biodegrade at all. Worst of all, most plastics can't be recycled as only a small percentage of all the plastic in the world that goes to the recycle centers are recycled. You can read more about this on my essay I did in class here. So after I found out about all this knowledge, I re-watched the lecture of Beth Terry in the Plastic Pollution Coalition. I realized why she did all these things now. I now plan on being completely plastic free and hope to find some products and post them here so you guys can have a chance to be plastic free also. I will be on a hunt for plastic free items. Beth Terry also has her blog called myplasticfreelife.com which also offers tons of plastic free products. For now I have one product that you can easily get without plastic today.


Dozenegg Harold Import Glass Citrus Juicer, Clear - I am proud to say that I have purchased this and it had come plastic free, including the packaging tape! I love this juicer and the juice that comes out of it has no usual toxic chemicals in it compared to those nasty plastic juicers.

No comments:

Post a Comment